Pages

daily creative practice

Monday, June 20, 2011

Final Exam

  • How did you figure out what your practice would be?
  • I was already doing a sketch a day, so I knew I wanted to work on the development of some of the sketches into other artwork.

  • Did you find yourself thinking about or noticing things re your practice throughout the weeks?
  • Yes, I found myself looking at the world more in terms of composition -- always trying to figure out what masses made arresting arrangements, etc.  Also discussing the practice with other people definitely puts it to the front of my mind. Not only being prepared with something to report on, but listening to how others interpret DCP and  what different ways there are to approach it.

  • What are your rules?  Have they evolved?  
  • My rules are to sketch a small sketch once a day and to think about and/or develop my sketches into paintings, collages, other sketches, etc.

  • What helped you keep doing it? 
  • The group meeting, the Sketch-a-Day book.

  • What hindered you?  And how do you deal with it? 
  • Thinking about it and not doing it. I try to make up for lost sketches by doing a couple at a time. But I'm not really concerned if I miss a day or two. I know I'll come back to it.

  • Did you write about your creative practice, take notes, journal?
  • Sporadically. I like to write down the ideas and thoughts that come to me while I'm making art in class.

  • Are you documenting your progress?  How?
  • Sporadically. The actual daily sketches are documentation of a sort. 

  • What advice would you offer others interested in a creative practice?
  • Let everything count in the beginning. These are not big art projects. These are little daily events. It's the accumulation of these little daily events that are going to change your life. 

  • Have you noticed any changes, awarenesses, in the quality of your life since you’ve started your practice?
  • Yes, all of the above changes are making art more a continuous part of my life on a daily basis. I think about it when I'm stressed out by work or family, and it's like taking a little vacation.

  • How does your original intention for the practice compare to where you are now?
  • I would still say I'm pretty much on track. It's a method for developing an approach to art/creativity that I can use for the rest of my life.

  • Are you having fun yet?  Do you think you’ll continue?
  • I am having fun in a way. Yes I will continue. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...