Pages

daily creative practice

Monday, June 20, 2011

June 20 2011--Questions about a Daily Creative Practice

ANSWER TO QUESTIONS
Cultivating a Daily Creative Practice

How did you figure out what your practice would be?

My original rules were: try to do this the first thing in the morning, so it’s not following me around with guilt all day long. AND wait to see what moves me as being the right thing to do. It could be writing and it could be drawing-doodle-collage.
Originally I told myself to look for beauty/synchronicity/excitement but I usually ended up writing/drawing about something that was gnawing at me.

Did you find yourself thinking about or noticing things re: your practice throughout the weeks?

Yes, as I woke up I began obsessing about my topic for the day. Usually an event the day before would point me to what I needed to investigate creatively. Or sometimes the wispy memories of a morning dream pointed to the subject of the day.

 What are your rules? Have they evolved?
Yes, they did evolve. I started my creative practice when it was cold out and I had not started my 2 porch gardens yet or my garden in the front of my house or my garden in the backyard. When I began planting, I told myself that spending 2 hours in the garden center picking out hundred of plants –will this coleus with a tinge of hot pink in its leaves go with this New Guinea impatiens I’d picked out--- and will they both grow together, was definitely a creative practice.
Besides the planting of all my gardens, I continued writing in the morning for about 15 to 20 minutes.

 What helped you keep doing it?

It’s a perfect attendance kind of mindset—although in truth I live my life making creative decisions every day—I didn’t do the creative practice every single day.

 What hindered you? And how do you deal with it?
My body hindered me. The spirit was willing but the flesh was weak. Time hindered me. Appointments too. I’d have to be somewhere at 9 and by the time I got home, I was tired. Some days, I was a rebel. I am too tired and cranky to do anything that resembles a creative practice and so I didn’t do it.
But then, I’d wake up the next morning and start fresh.

 Did you write about your creative practice, take notes, journal?

Yes, I mostly wrote about how I came to the idea of doing the visual part of the DCP. But as an art major who was really going to major in journalism, I have to admit that my first and favored mode of expression is writing. The visual I can usually see in my mind. It’s the craft of nailing myself to a chair and getting out my art materials and doing the piece that took me hours sometimes.

 Are you documenting your progress? How?

I really wish I had documented more but this was one step in the process that I didn’t do.

 What advice would you offer others interested in a creative practice?

Try it for 7 days in a row. And for the days that you are too tired or too congested with activities, take 10 minutes and tell what you would have done if you had the time.

Have you noticed any changes, awarenesses, in the quality of your life since you’ve started your practice?

This is a loaded question! You can’t help but notice. That is the purpose: to heighten your awareness. If, after doing a DCP for 49 days, you don’t feel more aware, check in with a doctor or therapist. The purpose of DCP is to ENLIVEN your spirit, to reflect on yourself, your life, and to feel more spirited.

 How does your original intention for the practice compare to where you are now?

My original intent didn’t include time (See what I can do in 15-20 minutes, then stop).
And so, I went overboard each day and burned out after 4 weeks. And I went back to writing for 15 or 20 minutes, no drawings, for the last 2 weeks.
Where I am now is in a state of delight and gratitude and heightened awareness. I am also in a state of conflict, wanting to record and document everything, and knowing I can’t do that and also wash the dishes and feed the cats.

 Are you having fun yet? Do you think you’ll continue?

Some days it’s fun. Some days it’s work. I’m not sure I will continue every single day, but I definitely have the tools to do something different than just write each day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...