Pages

daily creative practice

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Answers to the Q&A

• How did you figure out what your practice would be?
I’m not really into making visual art; I’m more of a words person. So, I chose poetry.

• Did you find yourself thinking about or noticing things regarding your practice throughout the weeks?
I did. Taking the class helped me be more mindful throughout my day. As a consequence, my ability to “notice” and “be aware” was enhanced.

• What are your rules? Have they evolved?
The hardest rule to learn was that there are no rules. I found myself wanting to produce a polished, finished poem everyday. Well, that’s just not realistic. Some days I would write stream-of-consciousness pages. Some days I would just think about stuff. Some days I wouldn’t do a darn thing! But participating in the class helped me assume an “inner position” of intentionality. And that’s the most important “practice” of all!

• What helped you keep doing it?
I really loved showing up in class each week and sharing with the other participants. It was also helpful to contribute regularly to the class blog.

• What hindered you? And how do you deal with it?
Pure, unadulterated laziness! Most of the time, I dealt with it by giving in to it.

• Did you write about your creative practice, take notes, journal?
I didn’t journal about it specifically. But, often the class-time sharing helped me become aware of some particular awareness or life lesson I was learning, and I certainly journaled about this in the broader context of my life.

• Are you documenting your progress? How?
Yes—through posting on the class blog.

• What advice would you offer others interested in a creative practice?
I think it’s vital to interact and share with other people during the process. This opens you up to a lot of possibilities you don’t see just working on your own.

• Have you noticed any changes, awarenesses, in the quality of your life since you’ve started your practice?
I have! I know what it is to experience an inner awareness, and I know what it is to experience an outer awareness. However, I don’t think I really had much experience in meshing the two. The daily creative practice is the space where that happens.

• How does your original intention for the practice compare to where you are now?
I came in thinking more about the product than the process. Now, the product doesn’t really matter, but engaging in the process is where the gold is found.

• Are you having fun yet? Do you think you’ll continue?
I am having fun! I do think I will continue to reconcile my inner and outer worlds through poetry.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...