Pages

daily creative practice

Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Pencil

Tried starting to write with two pens but
both crapped out on me

Saw a pencil on the desk but
pooh-poohed it and
walked to the drawer to get a new pen

But then I thought again about the pencil and
memories wafted into my mind, like

using the same one the first nine weeks of fifth grade and
taking my end-of-term exams with a two-inch nub, counting the eraser

selling them as a fundraiser for middle school student council
for ten cents a pop

tickling then scratching my ear with the tip
when bored in class

I like writing with the pencil because
I can feel and hear the words being created on the paper
and the words themselves seem safer, more inviting to read, like

will you be my friend
then two boxes drawn underneath with the words
"yes" and "no"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...