Pages

daily creative practice

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

5-27-11 Caladiums with Garbage Bag Blankets


Worked on the garden all day. Although the temperature was in the 50's, the sky was blue and inviting. I never should have planted the caladiums. Articles on the Internet say the soil has to be in the 70's to plant these bulb-based creatures and the soil today was cold and dripping wet from yesterday's rain. But I was too eager and I planted them anyway. So before I quit for the day, I placed a thick plastic black garbage bag over the pots, like a blanket. My back was too sore to drag in these heavy pots into the house.

Between jobs, a friend worked in a nursery. She found out that in order to harden a plant, you need to give it sunlight and water and food and warmth and then stop that for a few days, until the soil is dry and the plant is wilting a bit. Then you go back to the nurturing, food, water, warmth for a few more days and then take it away again. Do this at regular intervals until the plant develops a hardy root system.

This seems cruel to me, but how often does Life do this to us? And how is this like YOUR life?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...