Pages

daily creative practice

Monday, May 30, 2011

Bernard

Parents going away for a long weekend
taking doggie-sister Bianca with them
"Will you stop in to give Bernard some love
while we're away?"

I creak open the door
paws bound over the wood floor
to greet me

I turn on a couple of lamps
and take my seat on the sofa
with no cat small talk
Bernard hops up to join me

He doesn't really like to be held
doesn't like to sit on my lap
but he does like to be near enough
to have his head always within reach of my hand

I hold my hand near his head and he
"tells" me what to do

Rub the top now
behind my ears now
scratch the middle part of my nose now
under my chin now
at the tippy tip tip under my chin

Enough of that for a moment

Bernard paces back and forth a couple of times
walking over my lap on each pass
modestly gurgling purrs soak in the attention

We repeat the rubbing and scratching
a few more times then up from the sofa I go
check on the food and water

Good to go for today, buddy

I head for the door and receive a fast
kitty tackle around my calf
claws protruding enough to make his presence felt
but not hurt

The door creaks open
we share a look of goodbye
and I close the door behind me where
love was shown
both ways

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...