Pages

daily creative practice

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

5-29-11 The Only Thing New


Two things I remember about yesterday that I want to share with you:

I'm listening to Sound Opinions on WBEZ on Saturday at 11 am, the 2 hosts are interviewing a rock musician from a punk band called the Minutemen and the rocker said something which I think is really insightful re: Creativity.

THE ONLY THING NEW IS YOU FINDING OUT ABOUT IT.

It struck me as a creator of piles of words or images or ideas for new things which I think will be the next NEW thing, that there is nothing new under the sun. It felt like a Life Lesson.

The second thing I remember is Lady Gaga. I watched her 2 hour special on HBO, on demand. She thinks she's new but she's not. She is the illustration for my chapter:

TAKE WHAT THEY CRITICIZE YOU FOR AND PERFECT IT.

In the special, she talked about how kids bullied her in high school for being 'strange and unique'. When she was becoming famous, people always laughed at her for continually changing her hair and makeup and costumes. So she did it Bigger. In other words, she perfected it.

So I made a poster in markers about the Only Thing is New...and it illustrates this blog. Note I am in the center of the "O" of You.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...